Membership & Governance
We believe that non-profits work best when all stakeholders – clients, volunteers, donors, staff members, and directors – can come together and form a common vision for how the non-profit should operate and grow. To facilitate this, we have organized as a membership-based non-profit and given all our clients, donors, volunteers membership rights.
There are three ways to become a full-voting member of Open Door Legal, inc.
- Become a legal services client.
- Donate at to the organization at least once in the year prior to the annual meeting
- Be an active volunteer in any capacity
Members set organization policy in at least three ways:
- They approve the annual strategic plan during the annual meeting
- They elect the board of directors, who meet bi-monthly and ensure that staff are adhering to the strategic plan
- Special councils of members (selected at random) may meet at times during the year to clarify or modify the strategic plan and provide oversight to the staff
Of course, participation by members in the governance of the non-profit is encouraged, but voluntary.